One Wave is a Pacific arts and culture festival produced by Pacific Peoples’ Partnership in Victoria BC on unceded Coast and Straits Salish territory. This year, they’re celebrating their 10th Anniversary of One Wave with One Wave Gathering, a gathering of many communities from the North and South Pacific who, guided by their unique customs, protocols and histories, are coming together in the spirit of healing and relationship.
More info about the day:
This year, we’re looking for volunteers to join us prior to the event to support promotions, and just before and during the event to help with everything from cultural liaisons to our zero waste team. Peoples of all abilities and identifications are encouraged to volunteer.
Time slots range from 3-7 hours depending on how long you want to or are able to volunteer for.
This year also features an exciting and unique volunteer orientation that focuses on cultural learning led by community elders. The orientation will be held on Monday, September 11th at 6:30pm at Mount Douglas Secondary School (3970 Gordon Head Road).
Meeting Spot and Parking
We will meet at the One Wave Volunteer Booth on the lawn in front of the BC Legislature HERE. Parking is limited so please ride your bike, take the bus. Paid parking available throughout downtown.
Getting yourself there
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from.
Cycling. You can also use Google Maps to find a good cycling route.
Flow of Volunteer Activities
• Meet at the beginning of your shift for sign-in and introductions (please be on time) at the One Wave volunteer booth and grab your t-shirt!
• Engage in the volunteer activity that you choose
• Take a short break after 1.5 hours with treats and refreshments (feel free to bring a lunch)
• Volunteer for 3 hours (or however many hours you would like to!) and sign out at the end.
What to bring
• If you’re under 19, you must bring a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate. PLEASE DOWNLOAD FORM HERE
• Refillable water bottle
• Dress for the weather. Sunscreen and a hat since it will be hot and sunny!
• Comfortable shoes you can stand in for a long time.
We will provide
• Instructions on what to do. You don’t need to have experience to participate!
• A fun experience, learning new things, meeting people and gaining new skills!