BC Housing’s Edge Workbee!
Join us in supporting tenants to prep their gardens for garlic and help us remove some unwanted invasive species.
BC Housing in partnership with LifeCycle’s Project Society runs a gardening program called People Plants and Homes wherein we encourage and support tenants to beautify their homes. Part of their mission is to support gardeners living in social housing in growing food and build food skills. This GVGT activities will take place at Edge Place Community Garden, a BC Housing community garden. Our focus for the day will be to:
• Supporting gardeners in weeding their garden beds
• Weeding pathways and along fen clines
• Repairing one section of fence (deer fence, not wooden fence)
• Mulching pathways with wood chips
• Repainting community board
Working rain or shine!
Meeting Spot and Parking
We will meet in the parking lot at 950 Edge Place here. There is lots of parking available.
How to get to the location
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from. Also, please offer the driver a bit of gas money to help cover this cost.
Flow of Volunteer Activities
• Meet at 9:15 am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time). If you arrive late or can’t find us please give me a call[masked]-9078.
• Lots of activities (see above)
• Take a break after about 1.5 hours with treats and refreshments
• Volunteer until 12:30pm then sign-out at end
What to bring
• If you’re under 19, you must bring a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate. DOWNLOAD FORM HERE
• Refillable water bottle
• Dress for the weather. Rain jacket/pants if it rains, a sun hat/sunscreen if it is sunny
• Long-sleeved shirt and long pants to protect you from thorny plants
• Clothing you don’t mind getting dirty
• Sturdy, comfortable closed-toe shoes/boots.
We will provide
• Gardening gloves if you don’t have them
• Instructions on what to do. You don’t need to have experience to participate!
• A fun experience, meeting new people in a beautiful park!
What will happen afterwards
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album
• A summary of the activity along with before and after photos will be posted in our PAGES section to show what an impact you’ve made
BC Community Housing